KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
That's not quite how it works...

While your statement is true for a given gear ratio, it isn't when that gear ratio is changed. Acceleration can be defined with the following formula: a=P/(mv). So for a given road speed, the gear ratio for which the engine makes the most power for that road speed, will provide the most acceleration.
While that's 200% correct: 650Nm in 2nd gear brings much more force to the road than 650Nm in 5th, the suggestion in your previous post seduces me a bit less. There you suggest that when you shift up, that you have to land on the power peak. Actually, I've never seen an ICE being able to do this. And I repeat my previous post... you should land in the higher gear near the max torque. Certainly, when you would still have access to higher HP in previous gear, you didn't have to shift up in the first place of course. HP to the wheel is independant of gear (near constant), but torque to the wheel is certainly dependant (reducing with higher gears)! When you're near Belgium some day, we have to meet and discuss between nerds.
Appreciate 0