02-19-2021, 01:58 AM   #121
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by naywa01 View Post
The weight increase doesn't only apply the AWD cars, the RWD G8x cars are also heavier than the F8x cars.

The G8x are marginally larger cars, so more sheetmetal. It seems there's somewhat less model specific engineering gone into this generation that might have helped cut weight - in the name of cost-cutting no doubt (the M3/M4 video series on YT focusses on the more glitzy aspects of the car compared to the videos made for the F8x gen, carefully avoiding areas of detail where they've not made such an effort).

Combined with more safety, electronics & comfort items etc, its almost guaranteed these cars would be heavier.

Having said all that its high on the list to replace my F82, although I'm tempted to add M550i (new to the UK range with LCI), M850i & M5 to my considerations too; more power & torque than M3/M4, same ZF 8-speed AT, all of these are X-Drive and there isn't such a big weight difference now.
They came out with the CLAR platform a few years ago to lower the weight of their cars, but that doesn't really help when the cars are growing in size with every new generation.
Appreciate 0