View Single Post
      01-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #53
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, G87 M2 coming

Update here:

I got the 1200 mile service done, so now I can light it up with regards to RPMs. All I can say now is WOW! This car is really terrific when you are hustling it and using all the RPMs.

1st is short for me for what I am used to with the 718, I have run out of RPMs a few times and hit the rev limiter. I am sure I will get used to that.

I turned on M Traction Control for the first time. OMG, that is great fun! That is going to greatly decrease the life of my rear tires. That will get expensive, no doubt! But worth it.

I said previously that I was thinking about upgrading to an XDrive Comp. I take that back. I *love* this car in Manual. With the CDV Delete done, it is much better. I am also getting used to the 1-2 shift. It is actually easier above 6000 RPM, I am finding since my 1200 mile service. So it is easier below 3500 to 4000 RPM, not too bad above 6000 RPM, most difficult 4000 to 6000 RPM for some reason. But overall I am getting used to it, so I am fine with it now. Yesterday I drove the M3 back to back to the 718, and I found I was able to more quickly adapt to the 718 after being used to the M3.

Yesterday I also stopped by a BMW dealer and test drove an X4M as a proxy for the M3 Comp XDrive, and played with the shifting with the paddles and with the shifter. It was okay, but I found it was not nearly as engaging of a driving experience as the Manual, for me. Pass - I will stick with the Manual! (Save the Manuals!)

The other thing that I am discovering is that the stock M Sport Seats don't provide great support for me. I am 5'9" and thin/athletic. Visually it looks like the M Sport Seats have a lot of bolstering, but the bolsters are too far apart and I slide around a decent amount with spirited driving.

So I am thinking maybe the Carbon Buckets might a better fit for me. I am sure my wife would hate them, but I don't think she would be coming with me too much anyway, we will just drive her SUV when we go out together. (She has a Durango R/T as I mentioned, not bad - but we are discussing maybe upgrading to an X5 or X7 next year, she likes the BMWs too. We had a first-get X5 back in the day and really liked it.)

I have buyer's remorse on getting Black anyway, so I might longer term do a new one of these in a Manual with the Carbon Buckets and a different exterior color (Oxide Grey or Aventurin Red?) and a more interesting Interior Color...

I am now convinced this is the very best option for me for a DD and a complement to the 718. All the others are off the list. Amazing car! I love it.

Last edited by IL Pete; 01-23-2022 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 6
amuk148.00
2011ninja3396.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
translux481.00
mzcp2688.50