amuk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus RX350

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Pete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by translux View Post
Before the transmission replacement, I was considering swapping for an M3 Comp Xdrive. I was fortunate to get an extended drive of a Comp Xdrive. It felt like a totally different car. The grip especially in wet conditions was fantastic. But after 30min of driving, I began to miss the manual. For me, if I'm not shifting I'm not driving.
Great that you got an extended test drive in an M3 Comp Drive! Thanks for the comments, I fear that the result would be the same for me, that in some ways I would like it better, but that at the end of the day I would regret it as I would miss the shifting.

I test drove both the Manual and the Comp (RWD) back to back in May, and I did come to the conclusion that the ZF Auto in the Comp was better suited to the engine. I remember one of the reviewers on YouTube said that and said "Get the Auto - UNLESS you are a diehard Manual fan, then get the Manual". I think I am a diehard Manual fan, so I should probably stick with the Manual.

So I mentioned I took the car out for a spirited 100 mile drive yesterday. It was the most fun I have had in the car so far!

A few more comments on the car:
-I thought it would feel big and heavy. It does sort of feel big, but not too bad. I adored my E39 540i Sport 6-Speed, and it feels like that, in a good way. I also had an E46 M3 Convertible Manual, it does feel way bigger than that of course, the M2 Comp/CS felt A LOT like that. (I may get the next Gen M2 when it comes out, assuming they offer it in a Manual.) But it doesn't really feel heavy to me. It masks its weight very well! Accelerating it has plenty of power, so you don't feel it there. The brakes are phenomenal, you don't feel it there. The chassis is incredibly well balanced and neutral, so you don't really feel it hustling it through turns.
-The steering feel is actually pretty good. You don't feel the contours of the road like in my 718, but that's not really a fair comparison as the 718 steering is off the charts awesome. With the M3, while you don't feel the contours of the road, the steering is very direct and responsive. It is not at all "dead on center". I can't stand cars that are dead on center, my wife's SUV (Durango R/T) is like that, and I avoid driving it when I can because of that. The M3 steering is very good IMO in both Comfort and in Sport. I prefer it in Sport for spirited driving, but Comfort is quite good too.
-I think the 1-2 shift will be easier when I get the 1200 mile service done, and I can take it to redline. Where it seems to be most awkward is between 4000 and 6000 RPM. I think it will be easier when I can do it either at less than 4000 RPM, and over 6000 RPM up to redline.

I am much more impressed with this car than I thought I would be. The M3 version truly is the last manual sports sedan. But even in the Auto, it is probably the best front-engined sporty 4-5 seat car out there under $100K, M3 or M4. I can't think of another one that I would rate even close. There isn't one.

Other than perhaps the outgoing M2 CS, which is pretty amazing, but selling used for over $100K in today's crazy market. I had a new one at MSRP that I almost bought, drove it before I executed the deal on it, and decided to pass and go for the 718 instead (partially due to the 1-2 shift). No regrets at all on that, I love the 718. It actually all turned out fine, because I am finding the combination of the 718 and the M3 is going to be absolutely the best two car combination for me!
I actually would love to know where you go for a 100 mile spirited drive around Chicagoland. 90% of the roads out here are straight and boring.

Great write up btw! Was an awesome read.
Appreciate 1
IL Pete133.50