Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
Is it true they insist on hydrogen cells to get rid off charging time ??
The drama of range anxiety and charging time is not real for most of people who drive about 60 miles aday and have a garage in their home . I have had teslas in thel last 3 years and charge that thing every evening when I get home, with 110 volts! Combined with charging my i8 and tesla my electric bill jumped around $60 a month wich is a fraction of my previous gas expenses, my home daily charge is good for my daily drive. I never ended up to go to super charger unless im traveling, which i do a lot. My trips are usually about 400 miles round trips, car had mid 300 miles range and the car tells you where and when to charge to spend least amount of time while charging.
On a 250v supercharger which is getting more and more common, charging to get you to your destination is not s painful task at all.
And the best part is: i have not seen a mechanic or going to a dealer in the last 3 years (Except for i8!)
People have to leave for a couple of weeks with s electric car to see how convenient and fun they are.
There's a lot of people who live in cities where charging on anything other than public chargers is difficult. Once you're paying public charging station rates, the cost difference between electric and gas starts to disappear and at that point you're convincing people to pay a lot more money for something that's objectively worse than what they have today.

I drive I95 to my parents house every Thanksgiving and one thing that is always a constant is that Tesla superchargers are in ultra high demand at the rest stops which means waiting to charge.

Hydrogen has a lot of issues particularly related to storage (leakage, metal embrittlement, etc) but batteries have their own issues. Dragging around 2 tons of batteries everywhere you go for the few times a year you need to drive 400 miles seems wasteful. The promise of hydrogen is that you may be able to significantly reduce the weight of the vehicle but that's still a pipe dream.

I think it's cool that we're exploring alternatives to just BEVs, I don't think it's as much as a solved problem as Elon Musk says it is.
Appreciate 0