Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
I don't think 6MT sales will be affected all that much. 6MTs have been slower than DCTs and automatics for a long time now (basically since the E9x Ms). To have yet another generation where the 6MT is slower than the automatic M is not a huge deterrent to those who prefer a 6MT. Besides, the last gen was already plenty fast and the G8x is even faster - even the reduced power 6MT version will feel extremely fast.

To complicate matters, the fact that BMW got rid of the DCT may actually cause some enthusiasts to go back to the 6MT even with the reduced power. Personally, I'm a 6MT guy all the way. However, I had decided that I would just keep my F80 6MT to have the fun of shifting manually and get a G82 M4 in DCT as my next car... until I heard they were going to be slushbox automatics. I despise torque converter automatics so now I'm rethinking this and may go with a G80 6MT M3.

I don't really care much that the 6MT will have less power. It is just a tune away from having more power than the comp pack cars. I know people are saying the new Bosch ECUs are uncrackable. I'm sure it will be cracked in the next 2-3 yrs when I'm ready for my G80 M3. In the meantime, I just got my crankhub fixed on my F80 M3 and waiting for a set of rims to arrive. Going to enjoy my F80 for a few more years!
I'm one of these. This will be my first *brand new* M3 purchase and I'm jumping for a manual since no DCT is available. When driving, the 8AT won't cut it for me in the emotion department. I've used it before and struggle to see what tuning can be done to make it feel the way I want.

This set up may actually increase the relative 6MT take rate unless the car is hamstrung in some other way.
I agree.

I think there will be a larger number of 6mt buyers for the M3 bc BMW has effectively cornered the market for manuals.

I'm also not a hardcore BMW fan boy (not meant in a negative way), so my opinion may not reflect the typical Bimmerpost member.

I say this bc the only reason I got an m2 comp is bc it's the only car offered with a stick, with driving dynamics I enjoy and daily usability I want.

If I was only looking at automatics/dct/no 3rd pedal, I'd never buy a BMW. I'm happy knowing that I'll have the option to buy an M3 w/ a manual for a few more years and I really don't care if it has every single option available. In fact, I'm hoping they make a manual wagon. I could care less if it has carbon seats, or AWD, or ambient lighting. If I have to say "hey BMW" or wave my hands around to an AI interface to work the radio and AC, I'd kick my own ass.

Again, I know I'm in the minority but the fact that I can get a manual has compelled me to finally buy a BMW. The more analog the car, the better.

But I understand the OP's POV. For die hard bmw fans I can see how they'd want the top trim level with access to all the features on a DCT car but also have the option of a stick, and since they're not getting said option, they may feel there's a nefarious plan to get rid of all manuals. I actually think it's a smart decision by BMW to increase manual tranny market share and sell more cars.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11490.00
bmwdrive464.00