Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Otherwise the M2 would cannibalize sales of the M4 if it's pretty much the same specs. BMW needs to differentiate the M4 from M2 and not having CCB/bucket seats is one way.

"Market cannibalization is a loss in sales caused by a company's introduction of a new product that displaces one of its own older products."
Understand the concept but on the other side a customer who tracks his cars like me won't buy an M2 until it is available with the buckets and won't buy a bigger fatter pricier M4 because the M2 exists.

I don't see much loss of M4 sales "just" because of bucket availability..
BMW has been practicing market cannibalization for a while. For example, when they introduced 4-door coupes it cannibalized sales of their sedan versions. They didn't care about that because these buyers stayed within the BMW family. Instead, what they wanted was to steal sales away from MB & Audi who were were offering 4-dr Coupes, or at least not lose sales to them. It's market share that matters to BMW, not market cannibalization.

Therefore the M2 cannibalizing M4 sales isn't what matters. Rather it's not losing or taking market share away from competitors is what matters. In this respect, refusing to add the bucket seats will hurt market share, as Mavus said above that he'd get a Porsche instead. My guess is they will offer the buckets with a higher version of the M2 (probably the CS) as they did with the F87 M2.
Appreciate 0