Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentprotony@gmail.com View Post
That is mostly correct, if i am not mistaken to calculate piston area you multiply by amount of pistons on one side (by 2 in my case), please double check.
I also wanted to mention i dont have experience driving g80 on the track unfortunately, but something to keep in mind, is rear brakes do 25% of actual braking, they do 30% in severe braking conditions (approximately) , to feel a 15% increase in piston area of the system that does 25% of work that would likely be very hard to do. Maybe more of a placebo, or fresh pads/fresh fluid situation would bring a very negligible amount of ‘different’ feel. Again in theory, in a severe braking situation/emergency conditions most drivers are out of control either way because things happen in seconds. They already would not know what to do with stock brakes as is, dsc, abs, tires and other assistants would do most of the work likely. Again I am not an engineer, i am an enthusiast, i have cool quick cars that i drive fast every now and then, i pay attention to mods, how things are built, physics, engineering solutions applied to our vehicles, and try to build cool unique set ups (brakes, heat exchangers, driveshafts) , keeping it fun, safe , classy/badass looking, and affordable.

PS correct me on the calculated piston area please, i would like to learn more , appreciate the conversation and your support
I already did all of the multiplication for piston area for 1 caliper. You are replacing a single caliper piston with a 4-piston caliper. The math I showed is for one of the calipers being replaced so the % of change in the area for other caliper would be the same.

I agree, the vast majority of braking is provided by the front brakes. The thing is, the rear brakes are used for more than stopping the car. Various controllers may choose to apply braking at various times for various reasons. For an example, during heavy rain, the car will gently squeeze the brakes to ensure the pads are dry in case of emergency braking is needed. Stability control may choose to engage one of the rear brakes during acceleration in hard cornering, etc. The various computer modules do not know that the rear bias will be so different and so you may notice weird behavior. On a track, if you have the same brake compound as oem, you will notice the car squatting first before the front brakes engaging. This can increase driver confidence in straight line braking, but can be quite unnerving during delayed braking and entering a corner.

Like I said, this solution has merit, one just needs to be careful and relearn their car afterwards.
Appreciate 0