01-22-2021, 03:50 PM   #28
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Oh I agree 1000% and I share that hope that the next M2 retains the history of what was the M3 icon or i may no longer be an owner of a Roundel after what would be over 30years of continuous ownership.

To some who dont understand, I cant help it, but understand I too luv the M3 and just came from an F80.

But I can be honest to myself when I look at what the G series M3/4 offer, which is two quite large cars, the G-M3 now bigger than the E39 M5 and the G-M4, now bigger than my E63 M6 and arguably as big (tho not as wide) as an 8er.
The M3/4 are just different and are too big to be the toss arounds the originals were that made the icon.

Of course it will still be a great car with more performance, luxury (and weight) than ever and be the fastest ever, but that doesnt mean much to me as im not a professional driver and can only go so fast, the originals were about engagement as much as anything and today anyone can drive an M which was not the case when the cars where made to be icons. Jmho

E63 was a behemoth in it's time so your analogy doesn't quite add up. At least today the G82 isn't considered a behemoth when compared to similar cars since everything else has grown in size. Also, regarding the bit about anyone can drive an M car today versus before. Kindly elaborate on that fragmented statement since as it stands now that makes no sense.

Many of us here have been around way before these new cars, we know the history. We've owned some of the classics or what today one would consider a classic and I am still at a loss as to what you're attempting to convey.
wtwo318035.50
VetteGuy845.50