View Single Post
      03-24-2023, 06:53 AM   #175
Allerum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M3C X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHornett View Post
I fundamentally disagree with this statement. How it feels is the communication the car gives you about how hard the chassis is working and when the tyres are at the limit of their grip, it also gives you confidence to exceed those limits if the transition from grip to slip is progressive.

As a driver, this communication is incredibly important, if you are driving a car that is completely numb (but very quick), you will undoubtedly exceed the limit of what the car is capable of and very likely have a crash or alternatively massively underperform what the car is capable of achieving because you have no idea what is going on beneath you, so lack confidence in the car's ability.

So feel is the probably the single most important aspect of any car that you want to drive fast. Cars that have great chassis and steering feel give you enormous confidence to push them really hard and that's why feel is so prized by enthusiasts, it's not about classic cars or whatever it's about knowing precisely what is going on beneath you and being able to react to that!
Feel is important, but lap times in this chassis are faster than the other chassis of prior years. So it's agreed upon that the G80 is less feel but its faster. People are not having an issue with keeping the car smooth and fast. Your a feels guy, lots of people are. And I don't mean to say there is zero feel its "less" feel. But like other's have posted, this car sets better times. I feel the engineers embodied smooth is fast with this cars design.

You can be having a great time in a solid bushing 944/Miata/e46 but your going to get passed. If that doesn't bother you great! Preferably you would have lots of senses coming through a car, but you don't NEED them all to be fast on the track. Tires being a much more critical role, in audible feedback and progressive slip vs feeling the slip in the wheel. For me if your going into a corner and the tires are screaming, its just as helpful as feeling the understeer. Some things are universal if your sliding the back around you don't need to "feel" that because you an recognize its happening because your direction is changing from forward to sideways.
Appreciate 0