View Single Post
      10-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #199
zipper228
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Surprised to hear that, to me it seemed 2 opposite ends of the owner spectrum, I believed those buying an M4 were interested in performance & spirited driving whereas those buying a convertible were interested in self appearance & boulevard cruising. I guess there are always exceptions & crossovers.
Imagine this - you live in a climate with primarily nice weather and want ONE car that accomplishes all of the following: performs well as a daily driver, is not out of place at a C&C, can run with your group of car buddies through the canyons on weekends, is plenty fast for public roads, can show up at a business meeting without drawing negative attention yet exhibits an air of sporty design, has the look, security, and noise-insulation of a coupe for longer freeway cruises (and not the cheap look of a soft top), can drop its top for full convertible experience and still have more luggage room than a lot of other convertibles (not to mention a back seat), can throw your significant other and another couple or kids in and cruise to the beach comfortably.
I don't know of anything that accomplishes all that outside of an E93 or F83.
I didn't even have to narrow it down with 'has and optional six-speed manual'.
Not everyone would do this, but I've loaded up large plywood panels from home depot with the top down - try getting those in a coupe.

Fully agree that they weren't purposeful track cars like their coupe counterparts (although those are a compromise too, just less-so) but the E93 and F83 were a special combination performance and practicality when considering how much they accomplish in one vehicle.
Appreciate 4
Ibiza3612.50
JonEQuest246.00
Frosty780.00