Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
Watched the Carmudgeon podcast with Jason camisa. He gave a very good Hagerty review on the g80

But his new podcast said the tesla 3 performance was the better sport sedan.

https://youtu.be/5xj0R4MyDhE?si=9PgOLRbobL2VfSqv
Funny, I watched this today. He was particularly ornery in this one and borderline depressed about “a weird time to be an automotive journalist” and “not a good time to be an enthusiast” due to boring vehicles and invasive privacy violations.

He harps that the “fake sports sedan” mantra is everywhere and implies the M3 is in this camp although it “has the moves to back it up” with such things as fake noise, rock hard seats…. in spite of nicer interior and outstanding chassis and drivetrain - equating the gen 2 model 3 performance driving dynamics as possibly better and that the M3 isn’t worth the price premium.

Look, imho, objectively there are 7 reasons the new Tesla 3 performance isn’t the best sports sedan, regardless of the specs and objective performance figures.

1) lack of a manual transmission and for both the manual and auto, no need for any real skill set or learning curve to drive fast (it is a sport, after all)

2) lack of luxuries - leather, bucket seats, carbon roof, CCB’s, etc.

3) a true sports sedan needs 3-4 hours of hard driving range through vast geographical areas or be able to do multiple laps on a track or even be an amateur race car without having to charge

4) lack of bespoke personalization and mods

5) lack of enthusiast community

6) build quality, relatively

7) passion, brand value, racing history, pedigree

I’m excited about the model 3 perf, but I’m not delusional to think it’s a better sports sedan than the M3.
Appreciate 4
Burrcold5514.50
bmwdrive464.00
bri10426103.00
BimmerFix1431.00