First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoalie35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
I honestly would be more concerned if I had a car that was manufactured a little time before or after the recall window. Everything in manufacturing and quality control (and life really) is on a statistical bell curve and BMW is trying to guess an acceptable P-Value that covers the most likely failures.

Someone mentioned the Audi 2.0T piston ring issue. Audi issued a 2 model year recall/extended warranties/repairs for vehicles from 2009-2011. However, 2012-2015 models still exhibit the same failure at a higher mileage (roughly double) than the recalled cars and Audi won't do a thing about it and claim it could just be normal wear and tear … ask me how I know (also the irony is our Audi has been perfect from a reliability perspective up until the issue appeared at year 6 and 96k miles).
Wouldn't you just be able to track the batch number of bad bearing shells and isolate vehicles based off that?
Ya that's what I was thinking too. Especially if it's a supplier defect issue. They would have been notified by the supplier of exactly which batch of parts were impacted. That's what my experience has been in the aircraft industry at least. Can't say I know diddly about the car supply chain though.
Appreciate 0