View Single Post
      10-12-2021, 12:52 AM   #375
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
I honestly would be more concerned if I had a car that was manufactured a little time before or after the recall window. Everything in manufacturing and quality control (and life really) is on a statistical bell curve and BMW is trying to guess an acceptable P-Value that covers the most likely failures.

Someone mentioned the Audi 2.0T piston ring issue. Audi issued a 2 model year recall/extended warranties/repairs for vehicles from 2009-2011. However, 2012-2015 models still exhibit the same failure at a higher mileage (roughly double) than the recalled cars and Audi won't do a thing about it and claim it could just be normal wear and tear … ask me how I know (also the irony is our Audi has been perfect from a reliability perspective up until the issue appeared at year 6 and 96k miles).
That's concerning. There are many whose cars are manufactured right around the time window. But I haven't seen what the actual cause is. It could be that a few cars had a specific issue that was identified and only applies to those cars with the faulty part or whatever it is. In that case it's not a statistical estimate.
Appreciate 0