07-29-2021, 12:42 AM   #12
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2see View Post
I have had 2 PPF installs in the Sydney area in the last 3 years, one was a printed template PPF the other was a hand cut finish, so you probably want to determine what approach you want. If you were considering something other than clear, probably handcut/finished. My pros and cons with both as follows:

Templated - detailer was very busy and it was a production line approach, I did have a concern that I raised post install (slight lifting around parking sensor) and never got a response back. The template cut finishes about 1mm from the edge and any body work cutouts (badge/sensors/handles etc.), and this has a tendency to accumulate dust/dirt along the edge of the PPF. This can be cleaned quite easily with an alcohol/water solution and cotton buds. I have a light car (Hockenheim Silver) so it is not obvious to me so not much of a concern. Other than the minor concern I raised (slight lifting of PPF) I am very happy with the finish and durability of the PPF.

Hand Cut - Detailer was very attentive and provided good aftermarket care, also rectified the issue I mentioned with my template cut around the reversing sensor without any charge, even though it was not his work. The hand cut is wrapped around the surfaces and looks great as you cannot tell at all that there is PPF. However, I have had a few issues with it remaining adhered to the undersides of the surfaces it’s wrapped around, this has usually been rectified by trimming back the lifted PPF so it is closer to the edge where there is good adhesion.

I will definitely get PPF on any future cars which are in the price range of my last 2, it has saved my cars from carpark door scrapes, and my kids enthusiasm when coming to greet me on their bikes or scooters and not quite stopping in time (just washed the marked PPF and hairdried and no scrape to see) which are more frequent occurrences for me than stonechips.

Based on my experience, I would probably go template cut as other than the one minor issue, it has been the more trouble free installation, and as I cannot see the edges unless I am up close washing it, so that is not a concern. I also pressure wash my M2 at least twice a month, and none of these edges have even looked like lifting.
An alternative is to get the best of both worlds, like in this vid - the shop takes a template and then adds in buffers to allow for the ppf to wrap around the edges. This way you get a seamless finish without anyone taking a blade to your brand new paintwork.

I'll be trying to find an installer that has this kind of passion and attention to detail when I get mine done. I fully expect to pay the thick end of $10k for this kind of perfection though.

Appreciate 0