View Single Post
      10-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #2
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Ok guys...so I'm thinking about lowering my G80 (not x drive). I have been perusing this sub forum and I'm just confused. Maybe you guys can shed some light. I haven't modded a car in a VERY long time and this is really all I'm possibly interested in doing.

I don't want a slammed/tuck looked. I just want to bring it down a little bit; a modest drop to close some of the gap. I see people going with the MSS HAS kit and the KW kit. What do I want/need?

Can someone just give me the pros and cons of each and which one I want? I promise I looked but I just want a quick blurb without reading through multiple threads about suspension.

TIA!
My thoughts:

KW and MSS are both amazing and are both adjustable so its up to you on which product you like better. I have KW HAS on my M8 and it endures the bumps and undulations brilliantly. I have the MSS on both my prior M3 RWD and current X drive with amazing road feel and the car is very low or lower than my M8. The MSS has this unique 2nd spring in the rear which really helps with comfort and works so well with the G8X dampers.

On MSS using the "normal" install your car will drop about 18-20mm in the front (or you can go less) and you have room up to 35mm in the rear (or less of course). Since you dont want to drop your car much, if you get the MSS, just lower the front close to the max adjuster allowance and the rear to match it or around there. Same for the KW (Ive run over 15 sets of KW and they are great too) but the only reason I had MSS was because KW just recently came out and I lowered my RWD M3 in May. I thought I would flip to KW once it was available but after running it on both the RWD and X drive cars, Im not doing anything with it but enjoying.

I am not privy to the spring rates on the KW or MSS but can only imagine its a crap shoot on whats better as I have not rode in a KW G8X car yet. But with that being said, the MSS is arguably, for me, one of the best HAS systems Ive been in. The springs and rear helper mated up with the OEM dampers is very very strong in regards to compression and rebound along with enduring/comfort.

I would choose one of these items vs AST or H&R where the drops are fixed and it might be too low for you.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 3
Draper3460.50
Limegrntaln13477.50
Snt28220.00