Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I've never had that issue and all of my previous and my current BMW have one. You also can't use a digital key to drive without the charger since the NFC resides within it. I know iPhones get hot, I have a Samsung S21 Ultra and OnePlus 9 Pro, neither have that issue in the car so far.
What makes you say that the digital key cannot be used without the charger? I have seen this being mentioned by a few forum members but from I have gathered it's simply not true.

From what I have read it is not needed for the digital keys to work (applies to both key card and iPhone).

I have based this on some posts I read on the G20 forums where owners have retrofitted wireless charging to their non-wireless charging vehicles. And prior to the retrofit they already had the keycard and iPhone digital key functionality.

It uses NFC which does not require the wireless charger to function.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=101

If you look at above post, it implies that the digital key function was there and functional before the retrofit of wireless charging.

Furthermore the digital key is listed as a feature in the Comfort Access option on the BMW UK configurator so is not dependant on the wireless charging option.

EDIT: l I think a lot of confusion is coming from the fact that the NFC module is installed near the front tray alongside the wireless charger. Those with base/manual models don't have it due to the transmission which prevented BMW from installing anything underneath the front tray (this is why their wireless charger is in the arm rest, but no NFC module in their case)
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)
Appreciate 0