Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
I am an electrical engineer until friday, but on monday I finally start in sales.

Man oh man does it feel good!

I got my engineering degree to get out of engineering, kind of backwards thinking but I always believed *for myself* that knowledge gained in engineering can come in handy for sales or managing.

Another step closer to paying off my house early!

If any engineers want out if engineering and don't know how, feel free to hit me up!
I'm curious what type of sales you're going into. A good friend is an electrical engineer (I think more automation driven the last few years) who has been in management for a few years. He is thinking about throwing the towel in for sales. The sales is based around what he has done for the last several years. It's interesting that I've heard this twice within a week.
So the type of sales I am going to is to be the hub between program managers and sales account managers. Dealing with the front end of business with both external and internal customers.

With this role I can springboard onto being a PM or sales acct manager because I will have experience in both areas.

What got me into the role was all of the extra reading to gain system and product knowledge. I had the engineering mentality but not how the equipment was used. Thats where those nights of reading papers came in handy. And also having conversations with other sales people and systems engineers.

The talks with my managers and HR about my intentions for leaving engineering were interesting this past year.
rebekahb3140.50