kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
I agree, the M3 would be the wrong car, if it was like you want it to be. But it isn't like you want it to be, it will not have a DCT. People are buying the car not based on what they want the car to be, what the car should have been or what the heritage dictates, but based on what the car is. And this car will have a converter auto and this is why it will be the right car, even for bumper to bumper traffic. The problem is, that nobody will buy the car, except for a very small minority, if the car was how you want it to be: Radical, DCT, track focused, hard suspension setup etc.
This is a very short sighted comment and of oxymoron.
There are lots of fast, luxury cars out there. People choose M3/4 because it is 1. a BMW and 2. an M car. They like the characteristics, history and prestige behind it. If BMW stops making cars of motorsport nature of which made the subbrand M, they are lost in identity and eventually will perish.

I would understand if BMW wanted to charge more for the same DCT/MT package and there will be lots of current owners including myself who are willing to pay extra for keeping the iconic sports sedan longer in the shrinking market, but it seems instead they are forcing majority of avid drivers altogether to make an inferior purchase to what was offered 6 years ago. M cars were never directed at people who wanted S-class equivalent ride; it was for people who wanted 911 feel and performance while retaining practicality.

These are very emotional purchases and any change that brings the car closer to mainstream cars that offer comfort, efficient, and luxurious ride instead of keeping its uniqueness will act adversely on the M division sales.

Maybe it's BMW group's plan to ultimately fade out motorsport division. They have always been pussycats to put R&D into motorsport since F1 days.