05-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #294
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I just test drove my buddies E90 M5 yesterday. One of my disappointments with the car is the 8AT. I test drove it back to back with my M4cs and his new 992 C4. The shifts feel much less crisp in the M5 compared to the DCT and PDK. The 8AT can't handle an all-out power shift and cuts engine power on upshift (yes, 4WD DSC off). The downshifts are not as immediate and smooth. It definitely feels less sporty. It feels heavy and sluggish in comparison. Traditional planetary automatics have come a long way, but they have not yet quite matched the sportiness and all out performance of a good dual clutch. There's a reason why all super/hyper cars are still DCT equipped .
I agree with you that the ZF 8AT feels a little too soft and sluggish in the M5 but the previous F10 M5's DCT also could not handle full power upshifts (and neither could M2C, M3, or M4). This is the reason for the fart sound these cars make during a full boost upshift, S63 V8 and S55 I6 use different methods of cutting torque while keeping the turbos spinning so the cars can get through a shift without sending the full amount of torque through the DCT and also without turbo lag on the other side of the shift.
Appreciate 0