06-15-2022, 11:14 AM   #47
wufpak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Looks like all of those "big screen" BMW retrofits that people did really came back and bit us all in the ass with iDrive 8.

I bet all the people in focus groups said "we want an ipad sized screen like a Tesla"
I'm sure marketing focus groups are a big reason behind why automotive interiors are like this today, the average idiot probably thinks "touch screens are fancy" while never having used one while driving before. I'd assume the other reason is that it costs a LOT less. Touch screens are cheaply sourced today. Obviously I don't know exactly how things go at BMW, but having worked in supplier quality assurance at another OEM, I'd assume that the more controls you can put in a single module, the less testing you'll need to do for QA. Probably easier on sourcing/procurement too.

I've had a car with touch screen-based HVAC and heated seat controls, and can say it simply results in a worse user experience. A lot of people seem defending OEMs for this, but having a physical button for something such as a heated seat that you can press without looking at is just easier. And yes, I know that there's voice control, but it feels like a more complicated workaround than simply having physical buttons.

Either way it looks like my G05 will be the last new BMW I'll buy for awhile. I test drove an iX and thought iDrive 8 was a mess from a UI perspective.
Appreciate 7
mkizzo207.00
Remonster824.00
s58548.00
Mike_OGm2580.50
EthanEJC199.50