View Single Post
      03-25-2021, 04:50 AM   #12
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
For sure, I was a bit disappointed with the S55 after they indulged us with that "bespoke" S65
Disappointed how? Sound? Coming from some of the best sounding BMWs, I cannot quite see that true, especially from a long term ownership perspective.

The disappointment if it ever exists, is not the engine, but rather the chassis that's incapable of handling the power from that engine.

Been commuting my E90 M3 for 5 years till 2016, I switched to N55 M2, followed by a couple years with the S55 and B58.

Engine wise, for me quite the opposite holds true. All these independent M engines before the S55 have more characters than performance. By comparison, the S55 outshines with its sheer power, consisitency and reliability, while not lacking in personalities - strong and immediate torque full range, also liking to climb to the last bit of RPM.

When talking with enthusiat friends on the M of today and past, I do have many complaints and disapointment, but the engine isn't one of them. The flaws sure they (S63, S55) do have some, but the sheer dominance in power do more than making all up for that. Hey, just look at the way the discontinued S55 still destroys competitors this day with ease, stock. And the fact that the S85 and S65 can't hardly match the series engine that comes after them...

I do not think the character alone qualifies for the M engine, at least much less so than the performance.

After all these years breaking and making up with the F82, I figured to myself the fact the S55 is my favorate BMW engine of all time. That was quite a surprise now that I made that clear.