dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz31 View Post
Hey all,

First - this is not a 8AT vs 6MT.

I tried searching and skimming through some threads and really didn’t see this topic discussed in much detail. If it’s repetitive, please feel free to delete or ignore.

One thing I am really curious about for those who have driven the 6MT G80/82 is do you feel the car is too heavy for the manual transmission?

I remember in 2014-2015 I was looking for a lease and was dead set on a manual. A dealer close by happened to have a 435i and a m235i on the lot in manual transmission. I drove the 435i first and it was just a terrible experience. It just felt like the car was too big and floaty to feel engaged in a manual. It really made me second guess my manual consideration. Then I jumped in the m235i and all was right. The 6MT suited that car much better and was what I ended up going with.

It’s hard to say that’s a fair or even close comparison which is the reason for the question. The only thing I could attribute the lack of enjoyment of the manual was due to the larger, heavier, and less engaging nature of the car. Do G80/82 manual owners feel that the manual suits the car, or is their some vagueness and lack of engagement due to the sheer weight of the vehicle?

The G8x does not feel too big for a manual. It may be too big for some people, but the manual isn't at issue.

If you haven't driven a true M car in the past then you don't have a basis for comparison.
Appreciate 0