View Single Post
      02-07-2024, 11:54 AM   #71
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Wow, hey tough guy - it’s the torque figure as OP said. You’re quoting HP now which is not the limiting factor for the 6MT. The manual may be able to handle more torque than 406-407 ft-lb, but for how long? The 3.0 CSL still has the lower torque figure similar to the base G80/82.
I would not be surprised in the slightest if BMW sandbagged the torque number, an advertised 406lb ft, just to save face with 6MT owners. I'd love to see a 3.0 CSL put on a dyno for verification purposes. I also cannot imagine an extra 30-40lb ft of torque at the peak will mean that the clutch will start slipping at 50k miles vs. 100k miles with 407lb ft. Maybe a few thousand miles? It's impossible to say with certainty, but it's extremely unlikely to cause issues at a significantly earlier milage amount.

But if the boost pressure goes up, as it clearly has on the S58 found in the 3.0 CSL, it's very likely that torque figures go up too. The only way to know for sure is with a dyno of the two cars on the same day, which will probably never happen. But given the fact that no one's slipping on a RaceChip Map 7/JB4 on 93 fuel, to my knowledge, means the stock clutch can handle far more than BMW's thrown at it.

Again, BMW can claim that they've decreased power/torque for longevity reasons, but it's not the primary reason why they did it and anyone that understands the fact that BMW is beholden to its shareholders should understand that.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0