View Single Post
      09-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #40
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
I was almost trying to start to accept the grills. Then the M-performance parts show up.

What are your thoughts about why BMW M is going in this direction?
Younger (34 now so not young!) DINKs like me who have more disposable income and want a fast sedan, and are looking at cars like the Audi, Alfa and AMG offerings, are now looking at the M3 as well, where as I would say the M3 was more for the purist who didn't mind a harsh ride as they tracked it, but it's a lot closer to an M5 now and it seems very intentional.
I do intend to track this in the future, so am glad it's kept a lot of that in its DNA, but I also want tech and comfort and my wife to be able to use it easily. I also love the new look, the Audi and Mercedes options are near impossible to tell apart on the road, and I can tell most cars apart easily; there is no issue with the M3 and people want that. I'm spending $90k on this, yeah I want it to be known it's an M3 and not an M340i with a body kit, or from even further away often any 3 series, which the F80 M3 suffers from (the M4 is a little easier to distinguish)
I get that was a large factor for people, the stealth/incognito appeal, but times have changed and people don't want subtle anymore. I couldn't care less about internet points (likes, upvotes etc) but for me I want an aggressive sedan, with comfort and tech and an option to enjoy on a track - nothing comes close to the G80!