09-24-2020, 07:15 AM   #106
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Come on man... it doesn't take 'balls' to make a wacky and controversial design. It does however take skill to create a car that is faster, lighter, handles better, while still looking good. Aka, Porsche. Change for change sake isn't always good. Yes, sticking with the same design forevermore amen is boring, I hear you, but doing something outrageous and 'different' isn't exactly difficult either.

Look at manufactures that come out with 'outrageous' designs but are somehow beautiful - Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lotus, McLaren etc. They've all recently released cars that are drastically different than previous generations but are still beautiful. BMW have seemingly said "how big can we make the grille?" with no care for the eye.

Their launch video sums their thought process up perfectly - psychotic, lacking direction, senseless and loud.

Additionally, I would state that you cannot simply shut people down who have an opinion which isn't "OMG it's fantastic!" - no. I am a BMW fan. I've always loved the M lineup. I have a right, as do many others on this forum to voice our opinion and displeasure in hope BMW will actually listen and not ruin an icon.

Also note that I'm not simply stating the design is poor. You could put that down to person opinion. It's not just about being 'bold' as you put it. It's about engineering mastery and meaningful innovation. A perfect example - the car is noticeably heavier than previous gen. Why? When so many lightweight materials are available these days and manufactures are finding ingenious ways to improve in this area? There are many engineering changes that have been made to this car that simply beg to be questioned. Could I build a better car? Of course not. I'm not a designer or an engineer. Doesn't mean I'm incapable of comparatively assessing the market and seeing good/bad design.

And I will repeat again, this car is beautiful... you are just not ready for it yet... give it a year to sink in

Correct me if I am wrong but didn’t the new 911 gain some weight? Yea, I am also upset by the weight of the car, but it’s not really BMWs fault if you think about it. People always want bigger, better and more tech and features... so in the end it’s kind of our fault. I also believe that if you fully option out your new 911 it will also hit close to 4000 pounds... regardless 911 is in another league and does not directly compete with an M4.
Appreciate 0