Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
It was launched 2014. The F80 M3's design was then LCI v1 updated in (summer) 2015 for the 2016 model year and LCI v2 updated in (march) 2017 for the 2018 model year. At that point I vowed to wait until they'd sorted out their game before jumping in again on a launch year model. The F87 CS was a good application of that principal and I expect the G80 CS/LCI will further reinforce it.

There are examples of LCIs being brought forward if initial market reception isn't great. I have only seen 1 new 4 series on the road and countless 3 series, so it will be interesting to see how that pans out. That said, there are many members here who buy 2 or 3 cars within a m model's generation run and if you're happy to do that there's no point waiting.
So we are saying the same thing, the 4-series LCI occurred 3-years after launch, and not 2, as you originally stated.

Cars keep improving throughout their lifecycle, this is to be expected. At some point you need to be content with what you buy, otherwise always waiting for the next best will never get you into ownership. I bought an M4 in the summer of 2014, I enjoyed that car thoroughly for 4-years and then replaced it with an M4cs in 2018 when the warranty expired.
The announcement of the 2nd LCI (March 2017) came less two years after my OG August 2015 delivery so it felt closer to 2 than 3 years but I hear what you're saying. If you're happy to buy a second G80 later in the lifecycle you won't probably care/mind, agreed. In Australia the 2016 LCI v1 was accompanied by a $10+k price drop to rub salt into the wounds. BMW gave me an extended 5 year warranty when I raised it so that eased some of the pain. I suspect many other first year buyers just wore the accelerated depreciation at resale.
Appreciate 0