First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
NO ONE is going to lose their insurance as a result of a cosmetic mod. I've added spoilers, diffusers, wider fenders, spacers, headlight modifications, air dams, etc. etc. etc. I'm in the auto insurance world, and I can tell you for a fact that cosmetic mods have ZERO impact on insurance.

If you disabled your safety features, or removed your bumpers totally, or drove drunk, THAT would impact your insurance.
Yes, cosmetic mods won't affect your insurance - but that basically only includes changing the color of your car. Also, a widebody (you literally cut into your car to attach them), a full new front bumper (will change pedestrian safety etc.), headlight modifications (you can blind other drivers and cause an accident) or taillight tint (others can't see your indicators/brake light) are not just a cosmetic mod like e.g. wrapping your car and you will get at least a partial fault in an accident if the other party sues you.

It depends on where you live. In Germany/most of Europe, every non OEM/homologated mod is illegal - hence you will lose insurance (even just changing the rims). You have to prove your modification will not affect the safety or emissions of the car (usually by a destructive test, of course the manufacturer of the item can do those tests for that item and give you a certificate, that those items are safe and will be manufactured with the same quality, so you don't have to do the tests again). But of course there is no speed limit here and I am very very thankful you can't legally drive some of the monstrosities you see on US roads. I don't want to lose my life because some Idiot thinks he has to go 200mph with his homemade piece of crap "car" (look at B is for Build or other similar YT channels).

In many states in the US this is similar (not all of them). Just because nobody cares, doesn't mean it's not illegal (e.g. looking at all the cat-deletes etc.)

Last edited by Flamingi; 10-29-2020 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0