View Single Post
      12-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #32
ShiftingG82
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4, 6 speed manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Prior to my two F80's, I was an Audi guy from 1999-2016. I had several S4's and RS4's. When Audi stopped making manual transmissions, they lost me as a customer for life.

I joined the BMW family with a 2016 F80 and did my absolute best to familiarize myself with the brand. I was fortunate to have many of our knowledgeable members as a wealth of information to tap into. I had driven an E46 many times but never owner a BMW.

After 6 Audi's, all of which were quattro, I have to say that RWD is 50-60% more fun to drive. Speed means nothing to me, especially since I am a 6MT driver. I also track my cars and love the challenge of driving 6MT on track.

Had BMW offered a 6MT in AWD i would have stuck with RWD for the fun and the weight reduction.

I run snow tires from november to april and I am an avid skiier. I have never had trouble getting to my condo at the top of the mountain in maine in a RWD F80 with Michelin Alpins, so the "bad weather" argument in favor of AWD does nothing for me.

Straight-line speed is the least important thing for me. The connection to the car with RWD and 6MT is all I ask for.
Great information, this made my mind clear when it comes to winter driving on the G82 RWD manual. I was being concerned about NYC winters since I'm coming from an xdrive x5, but you just mentioned Maine and said it was fine. I went to hike in Katahdin so I know that Maine is a different animal when it comes to winter and snow.
Appreciate 1