Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
This is the new cope the anti-G80 brigade has been working with.

Apparently the only "real" difference between the 2 cars is the tires.
Actually I don't understand this hate, maybe jealousy?
If you like and can afford it, buy it, if you don't, don't do. In any case live happy.
You two can cut the paranoia.

I started this thread, as a regular track day enthusiast excited to see the next iteration 'M3', the latest in the series that has become a popular track day car since the birth of the e30.

As a track day enthusiast, I like many others get to understand more about the secret sauce of what makes a car quick on track. CofG, weight, weight distribution, suspension setup, even down to gearbox choice and tyres has a tangible effect on lap times. Very few track day cars remain standard, we get to know the tweaks that need to be made to extract more performance.

We watched the G80 technical videos, then we saw the lap times in the hands of competent journalists. Times were impressive to say the least.

I'm not the only one that has felt there was something not quite as it should be here. The G80 is not lighter, it doesn't have a track focussed DCT, lightweight battery, torque vectoring, double front wishbone suspension……or anything significant that explained a progression in performance, and yet it was there to see in lap times.

This tyre information is the missing piece in the jigsaw puzzle to me. I'm not saying tyres are the only reason it is faster than say a F82 comp. There are other factors that I know about that also contribute, they just weren't enough to explain the difference.
Appreciate 0