09-24-2020, 07:07 PM   #419
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Some of the design decisions behind this car make you scratch your head.

1) lower TQ on manual model
2) lowest revving engine for an M3
3) heaviest M3 ever
4) ZF auto similar to the other models
5) power levels on par with the last gen C63
6) Significantly Over stylized

From a cost savings standpoint, this car seems to be a win... from an enthusiast perspective, it makes you wonder who this car was designed for. I won't question anything related to this car until I see the actual performance... it may be extremely good but is performance everything? If so... then the electric cars are overtaking.
I think if you look at it from a corporate decision making standpoint, product price point. I mean have you seen TSLA's stock price and how well their cars sold while every other mfg is bleeding? Know your customer and product market fit, which BMW, being a multinational has teams dedicated to doing this type of consumer research.

1. Less buyers for manual and can charge more for the AWD auto, which will sell the most.
2. as mentioned, cost
3. power to weight is more important and BMW isn't dumb to make a slower car
4. This ZF auto is supposed a M8HP76 compared to the standard 8HP70 in the M340i auto, launch control is more consistent than a DCT, and is smoother trans, again for the average more casual buyer. Would also add that the ZF8 is damn good i haven't heard Supra owners complaining that much
5. Maybe from rated factory and the C63 is still priced higher, and isn't that going to a 4 cylinder? I'd take a S58 over the C63 V-8 tbh
6. subjective, the styling is generating buzz, ultimately will sell, because it is simply a better car than prior M cars and stands out...also chicks dig the looks

to your electric car point....a G80 vs a model 3P is probably a very close comparison at 4k lbs and both being torque beasts and will probably be cross shopped to some extent

Last edited by Avaley; 09-24-2020 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0