06-19-2022, 05:16 PM   #39
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
Good point.
I'm more on the theory that the M3/4's times are great for everyday road cars (which they are, from coupe to touring) and kill all competitors, but rather poor as true track cars (M4 CSL), which means that starting from a road car you can't achieve too much on the track, even with massive work and fine tuning it's physically impossible to turn a 3-series into a track car (mainly due to weight and weight balance).
The amplitude and frequency of forces on the chassis during a 7:16 lap is vastly different from a 7:30 lap so you might be right to some degree. To me the CSL looked pretty terrible in the video with huge brake dive at corner entry and unsettled bouncing while cornering. It could be that they reached the limit of the M suspension at 7:15 without risking to stick it in the trees. I don’t agree that it can’t be addressed if that’s what’s going on here, a set of high quality coilovers built for these speeds should take care of it. Maybe there’s another 5-10s that could have been unlocked that way but it made the car a hateful thing on the street and BMW decided against it.

I still think there’s a chance of some sandbagging here.
Appreciate 0