12-07-2021, 08:45 PM   #16
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Wait...the e46 M3 had superb steering? I could say yes to the ZCP/CSL rack which had a quicker ratio.

The standard M3 had such a slow ratio, in fact, slower than the normal e46 which was more tossible, nimble, and friskier in feel.

For the record: e46 M and non-M , e9x M and non-M, f8x owner, and driven the g8x. Each has their ups, but honestly the last M3 that had great steering was the e36.

The G8x fixed what the F8x lacked, a cohesive feeling front/rear suspension response that the e9x mastered. The F8x cs did to a certain extent, but the G8x went further.
You have some serious rose tinted spectacles going on! The E36 had a steering wheel the size of the moon and a very slow rack. Still the first M car I ever drove was an E36 M3 Evo and I loved it, so I wont be too hard on the car

The g8x is objectively a very capable, competent, well built all rounder. Improves on everything the f8x was good at, except without the incredible styling. Its a sledgehammer of a machine. If you go into it with that expectation its a great car. If your expecting the emotion and connection of old, luckily BMW have an excellent back catalogue to choose from
Appreciate 0