View Single Post
      12-07-2021, 04:34 PM   #10
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
I can't imagine G80 losing to anything in its class today. I think G80 is better than E46, even if you compare them with the context of the era they came out. I actually think G80 might be the most 'flawless' M3 ever, which ironically might be its only flaw.
Having driven quite a few E46s and E92s (still own one of these), and owned an F82 as well, no way is the G82 flawless.

First, it feels big and heavy (because it is), when you're really pushing it around corners and such.

Second, the steering is super direct, but lacks any amount of feel. It's just numb. It's close to being video-gamish.

Third, the engine/exhaust note is of course not as good as the E9X generation, and doesn't even sound as good as the E46's. It's better than the F82, but that ain't saying much.

I think the G8X has become borderline a super agile GT car, and I really, really like it. But it's a different kind of an M car, definitely more polished and grown up.

The E46 was and still is so incredibly special from a pure driver's experience. Almost the perfect size, also a little heavy (but a featherweight compared to the G8X), superb, sublime steering, a thrilling inline-6 exhaust note (no burbles needed), and just enough space inside to not feel cramped. It truly was a great M car. No, it wasn't perfect, but lord knows this G8X isn't either (and no M has ever been).

As for today's competition, the Alfa Romeo is quite a thrilling alternative, and the C63 still has a bonkers engine that's easily tunable....and it has better steering feel (though not by much), and a better exhaust note (especially if you like burbles).

And we can't forget about the Blackwing CT5V. What a platform, with seemingly better steering feel, just as sporty, a great chassis, and a raucous V8 with loads of torque. Definitely worth cross-shopping one of these, especially for manual enthusiasts.

Again, I really do like my G82, A LOT, but past M cars had their own charm, and definitely evoked a ton of emotion as well. Refinement and extreme capability does have its drawbacks for some enthusiasts. The Blackwing may be the best combo of utter rawness plus refinement. The G8X leans more on the refinement side of the equation...which is good, and bad.

And it's definitely an "effortless beast", which for me, is also good....and bad (but mostly good!).

Last edited by KevinGS; 12-07-2021 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 2