kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
The TC is basically only open when starting and stopping. In normal driving while the car is moving, the torque converter pretty much stays locked.

When I'm driving my wife's car in Sport+ mode, the shifts are really fast, responsive to manual shift requests, and shifts hard. If you want an automatic, it shouldn't matter whether you get a ZF 8HP or a DCT. It's basically the same thing now.

A lot of the reason supercars use DCTs is because mid-rear engine designs cannot easily fit a torque converted automatic. Even the RS4 and the Alfa Giulia QV use the ZF 8HP. From now on, I doubt you'll be seeing many DCTs on front longitudinally mounted engine cars. There's just no practical reason for it. The ZF 8HP has basically the same performance as a DCT and can transform from a hard shifting sporty transmission to a luxuriously smooth transmission with the touch of a button. It's overall far superior to a DCT.
I am not sure I want luxurious, smooth feel on an M car. You should get 340i instead for that

Similarly, that's why I love the manual; it comes with twin plate clutch that gives head bang for every upshift you make. Makes the car much more hardcore and sporty.
Karmic Man1996.00