View Single Post
      05-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Although it may not appear as such to the consumer, evolutionary changes like this typically come in no small part as responses to inside information about what competitors are doing. BMW knew years ago that Mercedes would introduce a new AWD system with the W213/S213 E63. As such, they set out to design a car that would compete with what its expected performance and driving dynamics would be. No doubt that they arrived at the conclusion that they had to up the ante and devise a similar system or face a loss in sales to their fiercest competitor.

You could cite Audi and their AWD system too, but Audi has had an AWD-first philosophy from the beginning. They have been able to better compete with BMW M and Mercedes-AMG in recent years, but it has largely been an uphill battle. They have traditionally not been a threat to the two leaders in the same way the two leaders have been a threat to each other.

All of that is to say that the M3/M4 and C63 will both move to AWD when it becomes necessary. Since AMG typically goes for big power (which, in a turbocharged world, brings big torque too), they will probably make the first move. However, don't assume this will happen next generation. We can't be certain that AMG will continue with the M177 V8. The real possibility exists for a move back to six cylinders - not seen in a *proper* AMG model (not today's *43 nonsense) since the C32. The engine would be a specifically developed derivative of the new Mercedes M256 inline 6 cylinder set to debut next year in the new Mercedes-AMG E50 coupe and convertible. Although those two cars will be of the AMG-lite variety and make no more than 450hp, in a neo-C32 (or more perhaps more appropriately, C55) the engine would no doubt crest 500hp. In fact, it's a pretty good bet that it would best today's C63 S output, although even that would not necessarily be the case. Recall that the C32 debuted with less power than its C55 predecessor, so there is precedent to see a drop in output. In any case, a 3L engine (the new I6) making 500hp+ will bring less torque to the table than a 4L engine (the existing V8) with similar power. So the need for AWD may very well be mitigated. Keep in mind the possibility of Mercedes moving to the I6 for the next generation Mercedes-AMG "C55" is entirely my speculation, but I think it makes a lot of sense.

Anyway, at these output levels, the E63 was still available only with RWD. The AWD option (which, BTW, was traditional 4Matic, not the new 2WD/4WD type) wasn't added until later when the switch from the 6.2L M156 to the 5.5L M157 turbo caused a sharp rise in peak torque. So, I think the C63 (or whatever it may be called) will similarly stick with RWD for now. And if that happens, BMW will absolutely not see any need to go AWD. In fact, BMW will have even more incentive to stick with RWD and play the weight game that they have been beating the competion at for generations and would naturally love to continue to do.

That's my take.
Appreciate 8
Kankles1484.50
Ilikemike250.50
drgmt984.50
BatCam1.50
alex23642846.50
maelfyn153.50