03-24-2024, 11:35 AM   #3
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Z View Post
How does the fan speed interact with the Auto mode?

A) Selected fan speed tries to maintain the speed that you select regardless of cabin temps.

B) Even if set to the highest fan speed, the fan will slow down as the desired auto temp is reached.

I,m not seeing the fan speed drop as desired temp is reached but maybe I didn’t wait long enough.

I read the manual and searched here. The description in the manual
is not clear.
This was always something that confused me as to why you'd every need a fan speed setting if you have auto.

This is a thing in BMWs going back a long time. From what I understand, the fan speed setting in auto has both a minimum and maximum value for that setting, with each being higher or lower than a higher or lower setting.

So on "Very Low" the maximum fan speed would be something like a "moderate" amount of speed for medium, where "very low" in the medium setting would be a moderate amount of speed at the very low setting. Something like a stepped scale, here's a picture to illustrate what I'm trying to write:

I've never gotten any clear answers from anyone including anyone at BMW or a dealer, but from my experience in BMWs, this is kind of what the setting does, allowing you to have varying levels of comfort/speed of the fan for when the air is running. If anyone has any info/docs that precisely show how it works, I'm super interested.

For me, I just want auto and I want it to get to my set temp ASAP, but I also want the fan to be able to spin down to nearly nothing if it's not needed. I don't think that functionality exists with this system, so I just keep it on medium.
Appreciate 0