05-06-2021, 11:09 AM   #27
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
My SPY M3 reactions have been positive out in the real world. The only negative reactions are from the "BMW enthusiasts" online that seem to look for any opportunity to share an opinion no one asked for.

My wife said she drove by an accident involving a few cars and there was a guy crouched on the side of the road with his head in his arms. As she was passing by, he lifted his head up and give a thumbs up.

Another day as she was pulling into Trader Joe's where they have an employee by the front door counting the number of people going in and out, my wife noticed the woman that was covering that role was staring at her as she drove through the lot to park. While going in, she asked what kind of car it was and that she liked the color.

I went to a different store for a curbside pick up and the lady that delivered the item only said "I really like your car."

I had a few other comments like that in parking lots, pictures taken of the car while driving or parked, excited people making motions to get me to rev up the engine or launch it from a stop.

It's unusual for me to get so many (positive) comments about the car, unexpectedly many of them coming from women that don't seem to be into cars. Our only other experience with a car getting any attention is our Volvo XC90 back in 2016 when the new model wasn't common. We also had the Overseas Delivery sticker on until I took it off a month later because (older) couples kept knocking on the windows to talk about the OSD experience and purchasing process as if we were Volvo's representatives for the program. That's not quite comparable.

The only attention my Alpine White E92 M3 gets is when it has a tow strap installed on the way to or coming back from a track day. Those straps are great at attracting middle aged men.
I was a little embarrassed one day a few years ago when I was in a parking lot with my already warmed up F82 and a kid wanted me to rev it to hear the engine. So I obliged and thought the kid must have been thinking, wow, that's all you got? I kept trying to make it sound impressive, but to no avail. It was certainly no e92 V8.
Appreciate 0