12-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #84
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yes, I was referring to M3/M4 sales.

I believe the coupe E46's and E9X's outsold their sedan counterparts as well, be it ///M or non-///M.
E92 M3 outsold the E92 M3, yes. As you know, there was no E46 M3 sedan.

But the 3 Series? A little OT, and I don't have the data to look at, but I'm all but certain that the coupe has never outsold the sedan. Maybe in the early generations (especially the E30, where the sedan was first introduced), but it was definitely not the case for the E46, E9x, or F3x.

It is important to remember that, in todays's automotive market, coupe sales make up a tiny fraction of all car sales - less than 5% of the total market. It's true that for performance vehicles that percentage is considerably higher, but high performance sedans are popular for the same reason sedans in general are popular - they generally offer more versatility than a two-door.

Quote:
In most cases you and mkoesel make an argument that has merit, but even speaking generally, BMW midsized coupes outsell sedans.
Like I say, that's not really the case. In fact, you can see this easily by looking at sales data now that the sedans are even numbered. Well, you still have to dig a little since the Gran Coupes throw a wrench into the works.

Here's an indicator (a little outdated, yes) of how 4 Series coupe, convertible, and GC sales split:

https://www.motor1.com/news/143701/b...-series-coupe/

If you look at numbers, the 4 Series has only rarely outsold the 3 Series, and from the above we can rightly assume that was due to the Gran Coupe.

Quote:
Prior to the F8X, the E9X M3 sedan hit the market before the coupe did, and the coupe stayed on the market after the sedan was retired, BUT.....mere availability doesn't totally account for the staggering difference in the sales numbers. We're talking 45,000 coupes sold versus 10,000 sedans sold. That is not a mere availability phenomena. That's evidence of a popularity difference.
Like I said earlier, not traditionally a regularly occurring model, the M3 sedan has not had the chance to establish momentum. That's changed now, with the F80 really picking up, and we should expect it to continue with the G80.
Appreciate 0