View Single Post
      12-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #77
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Do we have updated figures because numbers show overwhelmingly that BMW M coupes outsell the sedans.
This is limited to the M3/M4 (and formerly M3 sedan/coupe). I don't have the data in front of me, but I doubt that the M6 coupe ever outsold the M5 nor M6 Gran Coupe, and I don't think that the M8 coupe will outsell the M5 nor the M8 Gran Coupe. Of course, an M5 is significantly less expensive than an M6/M8 of the same vintage, but the difference between the Gran Coupe and the coupe models is similar (by percentage) to the difference between the M3 and M4. No, a Gran Coupe is not strictly equivalent to a sedan, but the idea is similar - same performance, more rear passenger convenience.

The M3 sedan has not been a regular model in the lineup over the generations, so until this coming generation it has never had the same conditions as the coupe under which to establish momentum. I suspect we will see the G80 M3 be even more popular than the F80 was.

Also, part of the reason the F80 M3 will ultimately be outsold by the F82 once final numbers are available is that the coupe is on the market for about a year and a half longer. The same will hold true for this generation. But, come next year when F82 production ends we should be able to determine which one had the higher sales rate. I suspect that it's going to be pretty close. It still won't be a completely fair comparison since over the last year and half of its life, the M4 will likely have enjoyed some additional sales simply because there was no M3 available.
Appreciate 0