View Single Post
      06-18-2021, 07:42 AM   #183
Traind
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Interestingly, the topic of MTC and Drift Mode (M Drive Professional) is highlighted in the video below and topic of a new thread.

Couple related comments.

1. As seems pretty clear in the video below and recent AutoTopNL MT vs Competition video, the torque/power difference between the two models is not only witnessed on paper, but on the roadways as well . . . still, I have no doubt the MT is not remotely close to anything one would consider 'under powered.'

2. Although drifting and donuts are fun, they have almost no practical application on the roadways or track. So, as before, M Drive Professional is cool technology, but of no practical value.

Now I am sure someone out there might comment to the effect that 'nannies' are for pussies and it takes skill to drive a car with no/limited traction control . . . all I will is say is, 'have at it!'

///AVM
This is a great thread. BMW should be paying you a sales commision, not that you are unduly biased but the information here is terrific for potential owners.

About the multi stage traction control feature, I think it most likely offers real value for a track day enthusiast and not just for drifting. My understanding is that you can adjust the intervention point in increments and this will allow you to have a range of support available on a road course as you explore the limits of the car. As you get more comfortable controlling oversteer, you can lower the amount of intervention. Depending on the track's difficulty, available runoff room if you make an error, driver experience and comfort with the potential of damaging your car.... this feature could be terrific to gradually step toward getting the car at the limit under braking and through corner entry and exit.

AMG GTRs have a similar feature, as do some Corvettes. They work differently but the theory is the same and I have heard quite a few positive comments coming from track time.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2529.50
EXE462100.00