View Single Post
      12-22-2021, 03:25 PM   #17
m.dreamin
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition xDrive

Really appreciate everyone's feedback and thoughts! I swear I'm still smiling three days later from the event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Nothing wrong with taking it easy, especially on your first time out. You did well to let off the throttle before the crest at 1, I’ve seen that catch some folks off guard as it’s an easy spot to spin when the car goes light. Line looks pretty good, the games taught you well lol. I recommended my wife to do the same before her first time out, it really does help.

What a way to learn your new car, huh? Glad you enjoyed it
Thank you! Easing off the throttle on the crest was definitely the approach for me. With more experience I could do what others did, which is to carve a line and just stay full throttle...but I need a few more days (and some track insurance) to do that. 😳

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAKE! View Post
Looks like a great time! Can’t give you any tips as I’m no expert in this arena. However, would love to see more pics of your car. Really like how you painted the bottom bits
Will definitely post more soon! Right now the bottom color is through a wrap (proof of concept), but at this point I'm going to get it painted permanently. BMW should have given us this option from the start! If you're on Instagram, I'm there @m.dreamin and will be posting more pics there quite often. Here's a shot (at bottom of this post) my wife grabbed with my big lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
It was my first time at Laguna as well...can't thank Andy@BMW San Rafael and the Sunwise group enough! Whole event was a blast and glad you had a great time.
100% agree! Which car was yours? I may have some pictures from that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Nice of your dealership to do that. I get a free cup of coffee when I visit my BMW store.

Well, I used to. Now with Covid, there is no free food.

Laguna is one of my bucket list tracks, but as I am on the east coast, it's likely not going to happen unless I borrow a friend's car (Miata) or rent something, mostly likely a Miata. I'm not a big Miata fan, although they are fun to drive, if you don't mind a car motivated by a squirrel.

If you get/got the track bug, which is a bug worth having, you need to do a real HPDE school with the BMW CCA or PCA or Audi or any decent club that has in-car instruction as well as real classroom instruction. That will help you learn the line, car control concepts, and proper braking. It will take years and years of instruction, and after you have spent most of your childrens' college funds and your retirement, you may feel like you are finally "getting it".

Worth it.

Congrats on the lovely car, mine is a twin. Albeit with 2WD and three pedals.
So many 🤣, especially the Miata bit. And indeed, would love to at some point do a proper HPDE course with a pro in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3some! View Post
Great. Could you share details on which mount you used for the camera, which equipment and which settings? Thanks!
Pretty simple setup, really. I borrowed a friend's GoPro Session 5 and his suction cup mount. Here's what it looks like (at bottom of this post). At this point I will end up getting my own GoPro and some mounts that would work on my moonroof so that more of the car, tach, etc can be captured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksm3 View Post
Good stuff!! but…..I have to say HELL YES to color matching the horrific gloss black lower portions to the color of your car. Looks so much better
Thank you! I wanted that look even before I took delivery. At this point I'll be getting them painted because it's just the look I was after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Using games/simulators to learn how the track flows is absolutely a good practice. Glad you had a good time. Welcome to the slippery slope!

watched the video and your line was pretty good but i felt like you can carry more speed through the corners. But that comes with practice. Good first job. Followed you on IG as well. I am @eurotouringcar
Thank you! Following you on IG now as well. 😬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pete View Post
You're on the correct line based on the video, so doing great! You could definitely push a bit more. But I don't know if I'd push my own personal car hard haha

What were your lap times?
I checked the video and from finish line to finish line (having already gotten up to speed in previous laps), my fastest lap time was 1:51.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKT2SPEED View Post
So happy you guys all could make it! We had a blast hosting you all ! Will make the next one even better ! We appreciate all our clients... This is our way of saying Thank you for choosing us !

Your Lines were Awesome very impressive for your first outing....That AWD G82 is a Rocket !
You and your team freaking rock, brother. Also really appreciated you letting me borrow your helmet. If racing an M4 at Laguna isn't already kick-ass enough, the community of folks like you the rest were just a treat to hang with for the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfurym2c View Post
I decided to go into the intermediate group and I was in aw of how amazing the track was it flows so well, the corkscrew being the best part by far. By the end of the day, I had a best lap of 1:46 lifting a bit by the sound booth as my car is pretty loud. Staying pinned over that turn 1 crest has to be one of the most amazing feelings I've ever had in a car, Overall, it was such a blast and I can't wait to go back, hoping I can get into the low 1:40s.

Thank you so much Sunwise Auto Group and @BMW Of San Rafael for an amazing track day, It's very rare for an auto group to do something like this in these times and it really shows their passion for BMWs and cars in general, not many would think to go the extra mile like this and invite all of their M customers to a private track day at such a historic track.
One day I'll work toward a line straight through the crest with foot to the floor, but in the video I posted above, the audible "woo hoo" after the crest was because the crest obviously caused the car's weight to change, producing a 116 mph wiggle that felt just a tad unsettling. Definitely required some finessed steering to control so that I wasn't going to head toward the gravel. 😳

And echo'ing that sentiment: Sunwise Auto Group and BMW of San Rafael really went above and beyond with this event. Can't say how much I appreciated being part of it. I'm constantly singing the praises of that group. 🙏
Attached Images

Last edited by m.dreamin; 12-22-2021 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 6
02M3ForMe4261.50
NickPJT111.50
3some!15.00
BRAKE!842.50