Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Everyone does collabs now. Ben & Jerry's has Nike Dunk sneakers that look like ice cream, and Home Depot has Supreme measuring tapes in aisle 17...BMW is just being a follower.

I agree with the person who said I don't care as long as the cars are good. Which I have my doubts about but we'll see
Following? BMW was doing collabs when I came to the brand twenty years ago.
News to me. Are you talking about streetwear collabs? 20 years ago pretty much the only collab I was aware of was with Williams F1, which is still the only collaboration that I've cared about - but not completely relevant to this discussion
BMW was also doing things with PUMA way back then with their BMW PUMA M venture (...which is still hugely popular). It was a lifestyle line much like the KITH venture, targeted at the style focused youthful bunch (...who may or may not have been in a position to buy an ///M car, but who were made aware of BMW M through their love for PUMA attire)......albeit with no Puma inspired car. The PUMA ICON stores had entire sections dedicated to the BMW PUMA M venture and a lot of the jackets, hoodies, backpacks, shoes, etc. looked really cool. I even had some of that stuff back then. Prior to that it was with Nike. In addition, there was a Nike Air Jordan inspired M3 presented years ago, but I don't remember if that came from BMW or a third party.
Oh, I see what you're talking about now. You're right, of course.

There is a bit of a nuance to this new effort beyond having a merch line, though. There's this crazy rinse-repeat cycle where literally any company partners with a hot designer, releases a rebranded/not really different version of a product, drops them at a specified time in extremely limited quantities, and sells them all out. And the hype is worth far more than any direct profit.

It's crazy how you can sell out literally any kind of shit out there with this method. It's as if the product doesn't really matter - it's the rush of kopping and being able to have what no one else has. Like i wasn't kidding about the Home Depot x Supreme tape measure.

BMW wants in on this, and understandably so. The Kith clothing they put out is also pretty great IMO.
Appreciate 0