View Single Post
      01-15-2022, 08:56 AM   #53
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Very similar case here as well. I think I remember there being an article/study once about how getting a driver's license was once a thing of pride and excitement, something to celebrate and look forward to as a form of freedom. And now kids are getting their licenses later and later, more of a "well I guess I have to" as opposed to "I can't wait!". Part of it was attributed to the emergence of online social media. Kids no longer feel as compelled to go to a friend's place since so much happens online. But naturally, as this progresses, there's less and less interest in cars in general, and more so now than ever they're seen as an appliance as needed rather than a want.
Plus the idea of the "open road" doesn't apply now, in the same way it did years ago.

Here in the UK it is speed limits, average speed cameras, traffic congestion, plus the cost of motoring. All having an impact on the view of motoring and affecting car choice.

We have a 70mph speed limit, 60mph on single carriage ways, and lots more restriction being added. Many of our trunk roads have traffic flows of less than 50mph.

Most cars are reasonable to travel in, up to those limits. Driving dynamics is not high on most users priorities. Light steering, being an example of what is wanted these days.

As to design and style, that gets more complex. Some folks just want the more unusual, just to be a bit different. One of my close friends has made some pretty unusual car choices over the years. Cars like the Ford Ka, the Fiat Multipla, a couple of Fiat Pandas. Strange thing, the Multipla is one of the most practical and versatile vehicles I've ever been passenger in.

He had a 3-series for a while, but one of the shortest ownerships before he went back to the unusual, a Rover 75.

As to car designs and styles, I remember when the 'new' BMW X5 raised eyebrows, putting BMW outside the expected box. Someone has to push the boundaries, offer something different, "some win, some lose".
Appreciate 1
wtwo317971.00