01-15-2022, 08:19 AM   #52
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuM3 View Post
Definitely this is an interesting thread.

I would like to share with you my thoughts from a European perspective. Here in Germany, there are still a lot of sections of the Autobahn without speed limits, which I personally appreciate. Despite this advantage over the strict speed limits in neighboring countries, e.g. in Switzerland, The Netherlands or France, a lot of Germans are complaining and demanding for a overall speed limit on the German highways.

This will be somehow reflected too, when you stop at the red lights here in Germany and see a lot of boring econoboxes e.g. with 3-cylinder lawn mower engines around you. A lot of people here really don't care about their car or the brand itself. They only appreciate a good lease deal no matter which brand. A lot of decline in client loyalty took place here. I know a lot of car enthusiasts who drove BMWs or Audis back in the 1980s/1990s. Over the years due to a changed purchase behavior a lot of people moved away from their car habits and ended up driving boring and zero percent fun cars.
Very similar case here as well. I think I remember there being an article/study once about how getting a driver's license was once a thing of pride and excitement, something to celebrate and look forward to as a form of freedom. And now kids are getting their licenses later and later, more of a "well I guess I have to" as opposed to "I can't wait!". Part of it was attributed to the emergence of online social media. Kids no longer feel as compelled to go to a friend's place since so much happens online. But naturally, as this progresses, there's less and less interest in cars in general, and more so now than ever they're seen as an appliance as needed rather than a want.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0