Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
If you could keep up you would realize you are missing the point. He was making up arbitrary reasons why the 911 can't be used as a daily. I have been able to take my 4 and 7 year old, with the wife, and weekend bags without an issue. Anyone saying it's not as capable is just too poor to afford one or both.
Interesting. I've always perceived the non-GT, non-Turbo 911s as the ones you buy if you can't afford the real hardware. The regular cars don't drive special enough to justify the compromises. We're just now getting 911s with decent infotainment. To me, they're not quite special enough to be exclusively weekend cars which puts the realistic use case squarely in M3 land (fun daily). Those compromises weigh more heavily as usage goes up, which is probably why these forums are populated by lots of people who came back to the M value proposition after a stint with a C2S.

Now, a standard GT3 (of any generation)? Completely and utterly different story. It seems that most M enthusiasts who "graduate" are happiest when they step up to those cars and pair them with a reasonable daily (which is sometimes another M).

Getting discounts on regular 911s have been pretty commonplace until very recently with the overall massive shift in the automotive marketplace. They have also depreciated pretty normally (slower than M5/6/8, in line with M3/4), again, until recently. I'd say F8x depreciation is on par with regular 911s still; all boats have risen with the recent tide. The market values GT cars; it's on those cars that Porsche has built a reputation for modern cars that hold their value extraordinarily well.

Let's be honest, if you drive a regular 911, money is most likely an object. Personally, I've driven them over and over and over because I love the idea of a really special car that can credibly be driven daily, but I've never come away from a drive sufficiently inspired to write the check. Based on how willingly dealers have been to wheel and deal over the years, I don't think I'm alone in that. If you're an enthusiast, you're probably thinking "save the $50k" or "add $50k and get a GT3, and get a daily beater". Or, you buy anyway simply to check the Porsche ownership box. Those cars are the M340i of that product line.
Yes and no. You make some very valid points, but there is nuance. If you're a diehard MT lover, that rules out Turbos and the base Carrera. Basically you have the Carrera S or step into a GT3, and that's a much larger step than the $50k number you mentioned.
Appreciate 0