Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJiGGs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJiGGs View Post
You remove the kidney grille and the bmw badges and there's no shot you would of been guessing this was the new 2 series.

I'm not sure what changes happened back at HQ but man it feels like we are in the era of German designers paying homage or borrowing design elements from the eastern world and it used to be the other way around. Maybe I'm just getting older or who knows what but this new era of BMW is separating itself from its roots…imo

Kia/ Hyundai etc… all stole looks from Mercedes bmw Audi and some of them put all 3 on one car and now if someone told me this was a Kia or Hyundai trying to compete with the new supra I would believe it.

Now that is just on the exterior department. Interior looks good and I'm sure it drives well.
It's not German designers, it's just designers from all over the world that work their as you can see from this nice little bit of info.....

https://www.bmwgroup.com/en/innovation/design.html

Now if you want to blame the few at the top go right ahead as they are the ones that steer the design. .

Yeah you are right can't really blame the designers who pitch the concept.
You can't as the directors tell them what they want to see and they give it to them. Remember theirs tons and tons of ideas, and hundreds of sketches on the wall. A sketch can look great as a sketch but then falls apart as a real 3d object.

The management looks over the concepts and can gloss over fantastic designs in favor of some odd balls.

Theirs never one sketch.

Design in itself can be subjective so theirs no right or wrong.

We as designers try and find what the management want. We pitch them out ideas sure but at the end of the day no concept goes anywhere unless the big guys want it. You want change you change the top. GM has some
Of
The greatest designers in the world yet they create things that are less than stellar. Every studio is different to a degree but in the end the directors and management have to make the call. Do you work in a design studio?

Everyone seems to be an expert!

The Kia head of design was an American who went to school and designed the Cadillac evoke and later went and worked for Audi, before leaving and working at Kia. I had the pleasure of meeting him before he graduated when I was a freshman.

He recently passed however, so sad as he was a great guy and had a great eye.
Appreciate 0