View Single Post
      05-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #46
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC

Lots of great points on both sides. I'm sure if you headed over to Rennlist, they'd think us ///M fans were crazy for even trying to compare the two machines. That said, most of us who can afford a full MSRP G8x at the moment can probably find a few extra hundred dollars a month lying around (or break the cardinal rule of leasing and drop a $10K down payment to lower the adjusted cap cost). I concur with other posters who said it's in bad taste to refer to those who budget (regardless of AGI).

For most people, rich or poor, a house and car are the two largest purchases they will ever make. Save perhaps investing in their own business. So there's nothing wrong with saying, hey the M3 does what I need it to do and costs less. Sure there are those out their with unlimited budgets, large inheritances/trust funds, rich/old spouses or who are just at a point in life where they can pay cash for a 992 (read: money is no object), but for the rest of the tax paying world, that's usually not the case.

Can I afford the 992 Targa I want? Sure. Does it make sense being 6'5'' with the build of a blob fish and a 4 month old? Maybe not so much. So you have to do the comparison based on your individual situation. The M3 isn't much of an upgrade in terms of daily comfort and usability for me, but for my wife, who's a significantly smaller human being, both cars make sense both from a daily driving perspective and financially. If she's happier in a 992 then the price difference is negligible as her happiness is worth it. If she's not, then it's a waste cause she drives less than 7500 miles a year on average and while it's fun to drive in FL, it's not scenic by any means like say California.

All this is to say, I like these kinds of comparisons, because it helps those of us blessed enough to even have the first world problem of deciding between a G8X and a 992 have some reasonable juxtaposition to go by/buy.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25120.00
bri10425943.00