View Single Post
      02-23-2021, 04:13 AM   #8
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenohua View Post
Drivetrain & Chassis: The G8x series definitely won't give you a huge step up feeling compared with the upgrade from the E9xM to F8x, mostly because the basic design is so similar with F8x series. I think it's more like the iPhone "S" upgrade. However, the S58 engine does pulls stronger and the exhaust sound more natural like N55 M2 with a deeper, less raspy tone which you can argue is the characteristic of the F8x. The exhaust volume are muffled even more with additional OPF and better sound insulation so you will be disappointed if you want a loud exhaust. We drove the M2 competition immediately after the track test and the G8x feels so much larger and heavier, this is considered that the M2 Competition already weighs almost the same as the F8x series.
The 8-speed ZF gearbox shift fast but not as crisp as the 7-speed DCT in the previous generations, but for daily drive it would be a perfect combination. I found myself always one gear taller compared with the DCT on the track. It's a bit annoying as you forget which gear you are in but I believe once you get familiarised it won't be an issue. The shift paddle looses the metal click feel but it does look cool with carbon fibre base and rubber area.
The whole car's traction is a big improvement over the F8x series with huge front end grip through the corner, it also improves rear end traction and not as easy to loose the grip when coming out the corner in the F8x M3/M4.
Steering feels lighter but more precise, I think the best words to describe are silky smooth.

All in all, the G8x series is a whole update with small improvements over F8x in almost all areas, a perfect daily car it you don't mind the grille and weight.
A few questions pls:

I suppose you would say it is an upgrade vs the F8X?

Did you feel any lag in the S58 vs the S55?

The comment re the steering is somewhat concerning. It is more precise but is the steering feel better? Is its or F8X steering feel closer to the E90?

Did you feel its weight more vs the F8X and the E90?

edit: Is its handling better than the F8X?

Last edited by bm323; 02-23-2021 at 04:30 AM..
Appreciate 0