Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
They probably will magically be able to fit carbon driveshaft if they are going to utilize the CSL moniker; how else are they suppose to reduce weight and make it feel more free-revving.

Custom carbon driveshafts at the local level goes for about 2 to $3,000 and is paperweight in comparison to steel.

Deducing from that, I'm convinced that in the case with the G8X, there was some number crunching and the bean-counters triumphed over the engineers, so then steel was ultimately settled on. If they can save like say $500 per vehicle, it adds up.

I'm not upset, I just don't appreciate my intelligence being insulted but either way, I still want one but the truth would of been divine.
This has been explained quite well. There is no room on the G8x to fit a DS larger than 50mm - compared to 90mm (before OPF) and 70mm (after OPF) on the F8x - and with this diameter the CFRP would offer no weight savings because it would have to be built very thick to provide the right strength and resistance.
It's a conspiracy to the irrational and completely understandable to the rational.
I think it comes down to those who think the M3 is or should be some totally bespoke car.... it would have been idiotic for them to design a special opf filter dimension just for the series g8x so it could have a carbon fiber driveshaft....

On top of that I haven't seen one piece of data that showed the carbon fiber driver shaft actually affected lap times or acceleration in a measurable way.... my opinion is the carbon driveshaft was essentially a "because race car" marketing feature which is why it was so easy to ditch when they need the space back. Yes there is probably some some calculator that showed 0.0001% benefit but nothing any owner ever noticed in the real world
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25127.50
chicagofan0019168.50
AESZ4205.50